Skills extend a character's natural strengths for specific tasks. Put another way, attributes represent a character's innate talent or predisposition, whereas skills represent further training to enhance & benefit from those attributes.
How skills are usedEdit
Any character may attempt to perform an action he/she has at least one point in. However, some skills are inherently more difficult to employ than others, so choose skills based on your character's strengths. Having many poorly trained skills will weaken your character.
Generally the degree of success is going to be determined, in order of precedence, by:
- how high relevant attribute scores are.
- the degree to which a relevant skill is trained.
- the degree & quality of opposition.
- the quality of tools or weapons used.
- some luck.
There are some exceptions that alter the order of the list, such as attempting things that require specific tools, like lockpicks. No amount of dexterity will help someone unfamiliar with the construction of locks & lacking lockpicks. An example where there is no tool: Your character tries to remember what the chieftain told him about how to avoid the bloodthirsty howler cats.
Most skills depend on 2 stats. The list of skills below is organized by the situations it is most useful in & which attributes contribute to the successful use of the skill. Skills that depend on attribute pairs are most consistently successful when the attributes are within a few points of each other. Here is an example:
Melee Combat Skills (Strength/Agility)Edit
- Dodge - Avoids an attack.
- Trip - Knock an enemy down.
- Block - Block an attack. Having a shield equipped will improve chances of success & damage mitigation.
- Bash - Destroy an ordinary door, window, or gate. Does not apply to environmental debris, cave-ins or natural obstructions.
- Feint - An attack that does no damage but distracts the target.
- Two weapon fighting - You are trained at fighting with a weapon in each hand.
- Two handed fighting - You are trained at fighting with large, two-handed weapons.
Ranged Combat Skills (Agility/Dexterity)Edit
- Bowmanship - You have training in the use & care of bows.
- Ranged Attacks - You can hurl small weapons & missiles with accuracy.
Acrobatic Skills (Agility/Strength)Edit
- Roll - Being knocked down doesn't keep you down for long.
- Tumble - You can launch yourself (or be launched) through the air with style & grace.
- Throw - You can use an attacker's momentum to your advantage.
- Evade - You can anticipate & avoid attacks.
- Dance - You are extraordinarily graceful.
Morale Skills (Charisma/Stamina)Edit
- Intimidate - Causes an enemy to falter.
- Taunt - Causes an enemy to attack immediately.
- Rage - You gain temporary attack bonus & stamina, but ignore companions.
- Berserk - You gain temporary attack bonus & stamina, but will fight any adjacent target until killed, incapacitated, or isolated.
- Lionheart - You can motivate companions for a short time.
Deception Skills (Charisma/Intellect)Edit
- Bluff - Makes a favorable impression.
- Mooch - You are adept at begging & borrowing.
- Heartbreaker - Reactions from a specified class & gender are improved. The specific class & gender can be changed periodically.
- Cardshark - You frequently beat the odds at games of chance.
- Prevaricate - You have a gift for changing the subject when it suits you.
Rogue Skills (Agility/Dexterity)Edit
- Purloin - You stealthily obtain (or plant) a small item, such as a coin or gem.
- Sabotage - Surreptitiously damage, destroy or inactivate a device.
Survival Skills (Perception/Intellect)Edit
- Sneak - Move quietly & stealthily.
- Hide - You can conceal yourself & avoid attention.
- Track - Determine approximate time of passage, number & direction of a departed target.
- Search - Attempt to locate hidden doors, items, or traps.
- Conceal - Conceals a door, item, or trap.
- Trapper - You can fashion snares & traps.
Construction Skills (Intellect/Memory)Edit
- Repair - Restores a damaged item or device to a usable state.
- Deconstruct - Gains a detailed understanding of a device's operation. Failure may destroy device.
- Construct - Builds a replica of a successfully deconstructed device, item, or trap.
Scholarship Skills (Memory/Intellect)Edit
- Study - Gains an conceptual understanding of a spell, item or device. Failure results in obtaining erroneous information.
- Memorize - Commits a sketch, map or spell to memory.
- Scribe - Commit plans, notes or maps to written form. Can be used to copy documents.
- Brew - Concoct a potion, poison, or poultice from a formula. Can be used to cook.
- Instruct - Transmit some of your knowledge to a pupil.
Arcane Skills (Memory/Dexterity)Edit
- Occult Knowledge - Someone or something has taught you secrets. Required to cast spells.
- Conjuration - Spells of this school focus on instantaneous transportation of creatures & objects.
- Abjuration - Spells of this school cancel or interfere with other spells.
- Evocation - Spells of this school manipulate the elements.
- Enchantment - Spells of this school manipulate the emotions of the target.
- Illusion - Spells of this school manipulate the perceptions of the target.
- Transmutation - Spells of this school alter the physical properties of objects.
- Divination - Spells of this school induce visions & reveal secrets.
- Necromancy - Spells of this school can accelerate or delay death & decay.
- Arcane Mastery - You are knowledgeable of all the known types of magic.